Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What type of funds should we bring to closing?

A: Rules and regulations require us to only accept wire transfers or cashier/certified checks.  Please contact our office for wiring instructions.

Q: What is Title Insurance and why do I need it?

A: Title insurance is an insurance policy protecting your ownership rights to your property. It is a one-time payment made at the time of closing and the policy protects you from financial loss should your ownership rights be compromised. The policy also covers the legal fees to defend your title in court.

Q: Why is my loan payoff more than the amount listed on my most recent loan statement?

A: Mortgages are paid in arrears, which means your monthly statement reflects the payments made for the previous month. Your payoff amount will include the principal balance shown on your loan statement plus any interest accrued during the month in which closing occurs. We also account for a few additional business days’ of interest after closing to provide your lender processing time and ensure no additional interest is owed after closing.

Q: What happens with the money in escrow after my loan is paid off?

A: The money in your escrow account is yours! Once your lender receives and processes the payoff, your lender will send you a check for the amount currently in your escrow account.

Q: How long will my closing take?

A: While no two closings are alike, most closings take an hour or less.

Q: What if my driver’s license is lost or expired and I don’t have a passport?

A: Lenders require that closing attorneys verify the identity of borrowers, which requires the provision of a government issued photo ID. If your license is lost or expired, you will need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles immediately to obtain a new or updated license.

Q: I am going to be out of the country at the time of closing. What do I do?

A: Lenders generally require that all parties be present at the time of closing. However, we understand that the unexpected can occur. If you will not be able to attend the closing, please notify us immediately so that we can help find a solution and prevent any possible delays.

Q: How should I file for my Legal Resident Exemption?

A: To qualify for the Legal Resident Exemption, you must own and reside at the property for some period of the year in which you are seeking the exemption. Visit your county’s website for instructions on how to file.

Q: What is a survey and should I get one?

A: A survey is a certified map of your property from a licensed surveyor. The survey will provide the boundaries of your property, the exact location of the home and any improvements on the property, and the existence and location of any easements. We highly recommend that if you are purchasing a home, you obtain a survey.